Aug 25 2011 Daniel McKenzie
VIKINGS sporting director Paul Cullen has revealed a decision has now been made on which players will be retained and released ahead of the club’s return to Super League.
An official announcement confirming who has been kept on for 2012 will be made next week.
Cullen said: “The official process is well underway and a number of players have been told either way.
“It wouldn’t be right for me to reveal how many players will be staying or going at this stage because not everybody has been told yet.
“Certain players have been troubled by the uncertainty in recent weeks and it has affected their performances, so as we go into the final stage of the season it is vital that they have everything cleared up in the next week for their own mental preparation.
“We have given every player as much opportunity as we possibly could to state their claim for a contract.
“But after going on a 10-match unbeaten run we just lost three in a week and in that process we have had to make some decisions.
“It was never going to be pleasant but we have done it as professionally and as genuinely as we possibly could do.”
So far the club has announced that 10 existing players have signed new deals for at least one more season.
A further eight new recruits, all of whom have Super League experience, have also been confirmed.
And Cullen has revealed the club is looking to bring in up to six more new faces before the start of next season.